Sunday, March 16, 2008

1x9

It's back to work on my low budget project bike. Thanks to my income tax refund I was able to buy a decent tool kit and a really basic repair stand on sale at the new Performance bike shop that recently opened just down the road from my house. Even though I've been riding since 1987 I'm a complete novice when it comes to maintenance. At least I've got the right tools now. The bike repair videos I found on YouTube helped a great deal. My plan has been to turn this bike into a 1x9, for simplicity more than anything else. I was focusing on the crankset today. I picked up some short chainring screws from Colonel's Bike shop here in Fort Worth. I removed the outer and inner chairing on a Specialized Strong Arm crankset I stripped from my old bike. I was then going to use the shorter screws to remount the 32 tooth middle chainring. I removed the cheesy Suntour crankset from my Kona and realized that the chainrings were bolted on but were riveted together.



I also discovered that the bottom bracket was some cheap Chinese cup and cone model. This thing would need to be replaced. I replaced the old bottom bracket with a sealed Shimano bottom bracket with shorter spindle to bring the single chainring in a little. I was told that I might be able to get away without having to buy a bash guard and a chain guide. I put everything together and found that the chain would jump to the inside of the chainring when I shifted to the two largest rear cogs. I'm going to buy a an unramped chainring, bash guard and chain guide and see how things go.

No comments:

Post a Comment