Saturday, September 27, 2008

Greg Lemond, Whiney Has-Been

Back in 1994 when I lived in south Austin, I used to rent video tapes from Bicycle Sport Shop. I rented a video, I don't remeber if it was one of Greg Lemond's Tour victories or The Tour Dupont, but I remember a scene where Lemond finishes a stage and throws a temper tantrum shoving a fan while headed for the showers. It was a John Mcenroe type tantrum. I remember thinking that Lemond was a complete jerk and I lost all respect for the man. So it came as no surprise to me when my wife called me at work (she really likes European Pro Cycling and follows it pretty closely) to tell me that Lance Armstrong was giving a press conference about his return to racing when Lemond, apparently seated in the front row, started acting like a fool. Here's a link to the Fat Cyclist Blog. The Fat Cyclist just happened to be at the press conference and has the same opinion of Lemond that I do.
Image from Steephill.tv. Steephill.tv is a great site with links to video feeds of many of the Euro Pro Road races. Be sure to check it out. Here's a link to an audio recording of the press conference. The intro explains a lot about what took place.

No comments:

Post a Comment