I've made a couple of quick changes to the Raleigh Folder to make it rideable. The most pressing need was improved braking. I switched out the brake pads and got rid of the cheesy brake levers that had too much play at the hinges. I also changed out the old rusted brake cables and housing. These changes made a big difference. Eventually I'll switch out the steel rims with aluminum rims to lighten things up and further improve braking. I had to cut off the original grips since they had been glued on and wouldn't budge. I also picked up an inexpensive Sunlite 24" rack. I tried a 20" rack made for recumbent bikes, but it sat directly on the rear fender. Plus the 24" rack was half the price of the 20" rack. Lastly, I replaced the old generic saddle with my son's old Wrights leather saddle. Other than some annoying rattles the bike rides well.
This morning I took the Raleigh out for a quick test ride. My son joined me riding my touring bike since he's outgrown his Trek 420.
New grips, brake levers, and brake pads.
One of my next projects will be to replace the stem and handlebars with something that will give me a little more breathing space. I also need to find some good replacement 451 tires.
My son just turned 13 years old. He's already looking too big for my 58cm frame. By the way, I just bought those shoes for him the other day. They're size 13! He's outgrowing everything and costing me lots of money.