After a long and arduous work week I thought I'd relax and enjoy the simple pleasure of working on my project bike. Was it relaxing? No-not really. I knew I would eventually run into problems. I mean, what fun is a project that doesn't provide a challenge? If I was a little more rested I'd enjoy these hurdles but I feel like I'm suffering from a hangover. I'll get my mind back in the game eventually.
I took the crankset apart and gave everything a bath in the ultrasonic cleaner.
I was going to replace the bottom bracket with a sealed cartridge unit but the original spindle is 116mm whereas the closest size cartridge BB is 115mm. Maybe the 1mm difference wouldn't matter, but it's just this kind of thing that always gets me in a bind. I decided to play it safe and use the original equipment.
The Dia Compe non-areo brake levers that I purchased from Velo-Orange came with brown hoods. I replaced the original hoods with a pair of Cane Creek hoods. The Cane Creek hoods are shapped differently and required some modification.
The wheels are finally done and I think they look great. One of the mechanics commented on the odd pairing of Campy Chorus hubs and Sun CR-18 rims. (1st stupid mistake) I installed a pair of Maxxis Overdrive tires on the rims and discovered that the tires are 38mm, I thought they were 35mm. I should have been wearing my glasses when I bought them. Since I plan to use this as a country bike I'm determined to make them work.
There was very little clearance between the rear tire and the chainstay. Note my choice of footwear. They're frocs (fake Crocs) paired with old man black socks. They're perfect for this kind of work. They have yet to be worn in public
My solution to the clearance problem-slide the wheel further back in the dropouts. Will this negatively affect shifting, degrade handling or whatever? I'll soon find out.
(2nd stupid mistake) I ordered some nutted Tektro 559s for the 27" to 700c conversion. First of all the arms are too long. The pads hit below the rim at the shortest adjustment. Second, as you can see in the photo, there is no clearance between the tire and the arch of the brake.
I looked through my parts pile and found an old pair of Dia Compe brakes that I had pulled off of a junked bike. These brakes seemed to solve the clearance issue, the only problem is they came off of an old mixte. The fixtures that hold the cable are reversed from a normal brake (the cable comes in from below the brake on some mixtes as opposed to the top) and could not be removed and swapped. The brake in the photo is the front brake, I just used it to show the difference in tire clearance.